The latest company news and industry insights from Access Capital Services. Topics include accounts receivable management, auto finance receivables, medical debt, financial services, government debt.
Access Capital Services teams with Coleman & Horowitt, LPP to strengthen collections litigation resourcesFresno, CA – Access Capital Services, Inc. (ACS) has teamed with Coleman & Horowitt, LLP and will be working with …
- DOJ enters into consent order with NJ student lending authority to settle claim of alleged SCRA violations September 23, 2021The Department of Justice announced earlier this week that it has entered into a consent order with the New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) to settle the DOJ’s claim that HESAA violated the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) by obtaining unlawful court judgments against two military servicemembers for amounts owed on student loans. ... […]John L. Culhane, Jr.
- Chopra nomination to serve as CFPB Director advances September 23, 2021On Tuesday, in a party line vote of 49-48, the Senate voted to advance Rohit Chopra’s nomination to serve as CFPB Director from the Senate Banking Committee to consideration by the full Senate. (The Committee had voted 12-12, also along party lines, which meant the Senate received Mr. Chopra’s nomination without a recommendation by the... […]Alan S. Kaplinsky
- CFPB sues software company and owner for allegedly assisting credit-repair businesses that charge unlawful advance fees September 23, 2021The CFPB has filed a lawsuit in a California federal district court against Credit Repair Cloud (CRC), a software company, and its owner, in which the Bureau alleges that the defendants provided substantial assistance to credit-repair businesses charging unlawful advance fees in violation of the Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR) and the Consumer Financial Protection Act... […]Christopher J. Willis
- This week’s podcast: A look at recent developments related to marketing by nonbanks of products and services offered with bank partners September 23, 2021Marketing by nonbanks of products and services offered with bank partners is coming under increasing scrutiny that focuses on the potential for consumers to be led to believe that the nonbank is a bank, or is FDIC insured. We discuss recent state and federal regulatory and enforcement developments, including the FDIC’s proposed rule addressing false... […]Barbara S. Mishkin
- Sixth Circuit rules unconstitutionality of 2015 TCPA amendment did not invalidate claims for post-2015 TCPA violations not involving the collection of government debt September 22, 2021The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit recently ruled that the unconstitutionality of the 2015 TCPA amendment that created an exception to the robocall restriction for calls made to collect debts owed to the federal government did not invalidate the plaintiff’s claims for TCPA violations based on robocalls he received in 2019 and... […]Stefanie Jackman
- Financial trade associations oppose proposed IRS tax reporting requirement September 20, 2021On September 17th, the Consumer Bankers Association, the American Bankers Association, and a large number of other financial trade associations sent a letter to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) and other House Members opposing a proposal under consideration as part of the budget reconciliation package that would require... […]Kim Phan
- FTC successfully uses Section 19 of FTC Act to obtain restitution as alternative to Section 13(b) September 20, 2021An Illinois federal district court has ruled that Section 19 of the FTC Act provided an alternate route for the FTC to obtain restitution after its prior restitution award under Section 13(b) of the FTC Act was vacated by the Fifth Circuit because it concluded that monetary relief is not available under Section 13(b). In... […]Kim Phan
- Adam Wright joins CA DFPI’s Office of Financial Technology Innovation; meetings available during weekly office hours September 20, 2021AB-1864, which took effect on January 1, 2021 and significantly expanded the powers of the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation, required the DFPI to establish a “Financial Technology Innovation Office.” Adam Wright, Senior Counsel, recently joined the Department’s new Office of Financial Technology Innovation, having previously served as an enforcement attorney with the... […]James Kim
- Seventh Circuit vacates restitution award to CFPB in action against mortgage-assistance relief companies and lawyers September 20, 2021In a decision issued earlier this summer, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit vacated the district court’s order awarding restitution, mandating civil penalties, and issuing an injunction in an action brought by the CFPB against two mortgage-assistance relief companies and four lawyers associated with the companies. The decision imposes significant limitations on... […]Christopher J. Willis
- Trade groups file appeal from federal district court’s award of summary judgment to CFPB in challenge to payday loan rule September 16, 2021The two trade groups challenging the payment provisions in the CFPB’s 2017 final payday/auto title/high-rate installment loan rule have filed an appeal with the Fifth Circuit from the Texas federal district court’s final judgment granting the CFPB’s summary judgment motion and staying the compliance date for the payment provisions until 286 days after August 31,... […]Jason M. Cover